Thursday, June 5, 2008

I want to die penniless.

Now you might be thinking that I have lost my rockers! Why on God’s green Earth would I like die penniless?

Well, let me share to you where did I get such idea. I love reading the life of St Francis of Assisi. Before St, Francis died he gave up everything he own, even his habit. His friars not wanting St. Francis to die naked convinced Francis to borrow one of the friar’s habits. Only then did Francis put something on his body.

Now the story might seem nutty to you. But I was really inspired when I read that. Here was a man who literally lived only for God. God was his sole possession! After I read how Francis died, I said to myself I want to die like that as well. It will be a great exit from this world to the next.

You see I want to face God naked, having nothing, owning nothing. Naked I came to this world naked shall I shall go forth. I want to say to God when I face Him, “Lord you are the only one I hold dear. What you have given me freely I freely gave away.”

GK Chesterton said that angels fly because they take themselves lightly. I think angels fly because there is nothing burdening them. The only thing they hold dear is God’s love. When I die I want to get to heaven as fast as I can. I don’t want the things of this world on my back burdening me and slowing me down. I want to run naked and free towards heaven!

I want to end with this quote.

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me".- Erma Bombeck

No comments: