Friday, August 15, 2008

What can you learn when things go wrong?

I started my day today kinda nutty! Things just were not going well. I had a lot of things to do and it’s a hassle when things go wrong! I have to exert extra effort to fix it, plus dealing with the irritation of the inconvenience.

Few days ago I was praying that I want to move from “a mentality of fear” to a “mentality of trust in God”. I was praying for more faith.

As I went to my lunch meeting today, I was thinking what was happening. I am the kind of person who is always suspicious about God’s actions in my life. I was thinking what God was trying to teach me with all of these problems. I realized then that the only time I can exercise my faith is when I really need to trust God to get me out of the mess I am in. So decided to just trust God to whatever the outcome of the situation, good or bad, knowing that I surrendered it all to Him.

As I was riding the FX going to the lunch meeting, I decided to listen to Jars of Clay on my mp3 player and just sing to God in my head. Slowly my anxiety went away. When I arrived at Makati I was in a good mood. I was even clowning around during lunch.

I believe sometimes God permits trials and problems for our personal growth. Most of us like to be comfortable and complacent. Michael Jordan did not become a legend sitting at the bench and imagining he was shooting hoops. He trained really hard, played hard and suffered a lot of losses. His ability to overcome them was what made him great. I always try to view all my problems in life as an opportunity to grow. Most of my compassion and conviction came not from the good things that happened to me, but because I myself have suffered a lot. I know what it means to suffer and the insanity that goes with it.

God prunes us for us to bear more fruit.

I also keep reminding myself that I must able to handle this problem well, or else I won’t be able to handle the bigger problems that will come in the future. The verse that was popping in my head was, “He who is faithful in a very little [thing] is faithful also in much” I kept saying to myself, “If you can’t handle this problem, how will you ever do bigger things for the Lord?”

So what can you learn when things go wrong? A LOT!

No comments: