Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Dragons, Maidens in Distress and Jesus

Once upon a time in a far, far away kingdom lived a boy. And the boy dreamed of being a knight, fight dragons and rescue the lovely princess. Time passed and the boy grew…

When I was a little kid, I always read my uncle’s collection of the “Illustrated Classics”. It’s basically fairy tales in comic book form. Most of the fairy tales is about a young man, prince or popper, trying to win the hand of the princess by going through journeys full of peril. I admired the virtues of the heroes their in the fairy tales. All of them were brave and ready to risk their very lives to win the heart of their beloved. I was also attracted to the purity and kindness of the princesses in the stories.

After my conversion back to my Catholic faith from years of being a “lukewarm Catholic”, I got into reading the lives of the Saints. I was captivated by these mere humans who did heroic things. They were better than fairy tales because they were real stories of real people. Most of all these Saints were more madly in love than the heroes on the fairy tales. First time I saw what a romantic looked liked. These people we IN LOVED!

All of them were crazy in love with Jesus.

I think I can live like those heroes in the fairy tales, but for real. Living up to my Christian faith and standing up for Jesus has become heroic these days. The dragons that I will encounter are not like those on the books but real life people. Critics and skeptics who have the same fiery mouth as a dragon and whose tongues are sharp as a sword.

But most of all I can be like those romantic and heroic knights who risked their life for their beloved. I know too that I will have the opportunity to take risks for my beloved Jesus to prove my love for Him.

It has been 4 years that I have tried to server Jesus, and it’s been one crazy tale. The funny thing is I believe I am just in the prologue of the story

No comments: