Thursday, February 7, 2008

Ash Wednesday

Two days ago was Ash Wednesday. It is the start of the season of Lent. It is a Catholic tradition that ashes are put on our forehead in a form of a cross. It reminds us that from dust we came and from dust we shall end. Lent is a season of not only of meditating but also participating in the passion of Christ. It is a time of cleansing oneself from our attachment to sin.

I was kind a bit worried last weekend if I will have a good start of Lent. I have been so self-centered and worldly these past few weeks that I thought I won’t be able to get back to God before Lent. Praise be to God that the grace came just in time. During Ash Wednesday we Catholics are ask to do 3 things, prayer, penance and almsgiving. So last Wednesday I was able to join the sisters to give medicine to the poor in the morning, which felt great. I always enjoy giving out medicine, maybe because I know that even in a little way that those sick people will feel better even if for some time. Bringing healing to the suffering even though how small is fulfilling. I also fasted, which I have not done for a long time. I ate 2 cookies for breakfast, ate a lot at lunch and waited for dinner. By 5 pm I was so hungry and restless. I ate 2 piece of bread and some fish. Man was I still hungry after that meal. I was restless and the only thing going in my mind was food. I took this opportunity to empathize to the poor who have nothing to eat. I joined my hunger with their hunger. I observe my reactions to hunger. I could not think straight, my mind was just saying food, food and food. I was also felt a little bit weak and very impatient. As I observe myself I realize why the poor act the way they do! It made me realize to be more compassionate to them specially when they act a little bit crazy. Hunger can do a lot to people, one of that is not think straight and be grumpy. So I said to myself to not to easily judge the poor who are grumpy and a little bit nutty, maybe they just not have ate for days.

I think fasting is a great practice. It helps us be more understanding and compassionate to the poor and suffering. Fasting can lead us to charity.

Blog by Daxx Bondoc
(www.inspirationalblogs.com)

*If you want to repost this blog please include From Inspirationalblogs.com and the end.


No comments: