Friday, October 31, 2008

Man of the Eight Beatitudes

Here is one my hero and try to imitate

Quotes from Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati

"Around the sick, the poor, the unfortunate, I see a particular light, a light that we do not have"


"Jesus comes to me every morning in Holy Communion: I repay him in my very small way by visiting the poor".

"Seeing daily the faith with which families often bear the most atrocious sufferings, their constant sacrifices, and that they do all this for the love of God often makes us ask why I, who have so many things from God, have always been so neglectful, so bad, while they, who have not been privileged like me are infinitely better than me?"

"We have the duty of putting our health at the service of those who (do not posses it) haven't it. To act otherwise would be to betray the gift of God."

When Pier Giorgio died, Mrs. Converso came to me weeping and told me that the strongest ally had left her. She told me that thanks to him she was able to stay longer in the maternity department of the hospital since Pier Giorgio would accompany her. She also told me how Pier Giorgio acted as godfather to her daughter and how he bought her a dress for her baptism. How he met her husband when he came out of prison to take him to a factory where they would accept people who had a prison record, since he had the habit of getting drunk and not working. (I.Nebia)

One of his favourite haunts was the Cottolengo ( a hospital for the physically and mentally handicapped). He would wander thorough the corridors with a secure and steady spirit of charity consoling the wretched and stopping to talk to them as though they were really his brothers.
He would bring them money, candy and clothes and would never forget to kiss them warmly as though they were the closest of friends, not even stopping to think of the possible risk of infection or having any hint of human repulsion. (M:Ghemlera).

How many times I saw him coming out of the pawnbroker's, his hands full of boxes of clothes that had been pawned which he would return to the poor. (M.Cerutti)

Amazed, people saw this young man drag hand carts through the streets of Turin filled with household goods of the poor who were looking for a home. He would enter the most squalid houses and give all the money he had so that he did not have enough money to take the bus home.


PASSIONATELY EAGER TO SERVE BROTHERS AND CONSUMED BY BURNING CHARITY WHICH LED HIM TO APPROACH, IN ORDER OF ABSOLUTE PRECEDENCE, THE POOR AND THE SICK.
John Paul II-Turin, 15.4.1980

No comments: