Sunday, December 21, 2008

Charlie Brown and Christmas Time

Charlie Brown and Christmas Time

By Maria Johnson • Dec 8th, 2008 • Category: Monday Musings

I know we’re all trying to make a concerted effort to stay on task and celebrate Advent before Christmas, instead of what the retail industry would have us do, which is to embrace Christmas before Halloween so the Valentine’s Day hearts can go on sale on December 26. Well, who said we had to listen?

I admire the folks who can really pull it off. I think I get about halfway there but I admit to getting sucked into celebrating Christmas a couple of weeks into Advent. The Advent wreath and hymns at Mass are a reminder that it isn’t Christmas just yet, but then I succumb to my favorite holiday shows and … well … I’m weak. I admit it.

It starts with one of my favorite cartoons, A Charlie Brown Christmas. I so loved it as a child although probably for very diffierent reasons than I love it now. When Linus reads from the Gospel of Luke and tells the nativity story I am overwhelmed. So beautiful!

The cartoon is usually aired right in the middle of the self-induced hysteria that generally substitutes for Advent. To my amazement, the show sends a powerful and timely message about the misplaced values and commercialization of what mainstream society calls the Christmas Season. As Catholics, though, we celebrate the Christmas season starting with Christmas and ending eight days later. Unfortunately, it seems like everybody else moves on to New Year’s when we start to celebrate the real Christmas season.

Still, I can reconcile the mixed messages. A Charlie Brown Christmas rejects commercialization and focuses on the real meaning of Christmas. Before the T-shirt kiosks at the malls were making money on their “Put Christ back in Christmas” shirts, the Peanuts Gang sang it loud and clear. I don’t mind the reminder, even if it comes a little early. In fact, I need to hear the message early to prioritize and remember that I am not preparing for Christmas turkey and gift exchanges and too much eggnog.

Advent is instead a time to prepare our hearts to “receive” Jesus, the Light of the world, the Word made Flesh. We can enjoy the anticipation without giving ourselves over to the hysteria. Instead of dreading that there are only 17 shopping days til x-mas, we should be be rejoicing that Christ-mas is only 17 days away!

Merry Chri — um, have a great Advent and don’t forget that it’s a good time to seek the healing power of the sacrament of reconciliation. We need to prepare our hearts as well as our homes. Excuse me now while I get back to the TV and cue The Grinch Who Stole Christmas.

No comments: