Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Simple Joys of a Child



(Nicole was left to our house while her siblings play at the park)

One thing I have learned these past years is that joy can be found in little things. The secular world tells us otherwise, according to them, the bigger the better. To them to find joy in life you have to have more money, more power, more fame and more sex. I bought all of this when I was young, and ended up frustrated. It was like a never ending pursuit without consolation. I was living for the thrill of the chase. Finally reality kind of kick me in the behind and realized “what the hell am I doing?” I imagine I get everything I aspire for, what then? Aspire for something greater? I said to myself, it’s like a vicious loop! I wanted to find joy here and now. I cant wait to be filthy rich, because it might never happen. Thank God that he set me on another course. For three years I have been working with kids in the orphanage and in Catechism classes. They have thought me much. The children thought me to forget myself and just focus on them; in short they thought me how to give unselfishly. And it is a liberating feeling. When I am with the kids I just forget being self conscious and just enjoy the present moment. I just enjoy the laughter and goofing of with them. And the best thing is just to accept their affection towards me. My joy is to make these children smile or laugh, in return, I go home with a sense of joy. I strive for a lot of things, but I always remind myself of what is really important in life. One of them is just this, spending time with kids specially the orphans. I know at the end of my life, I would have no regrets in the time I spend serving the kids. It was a blessing.

Practical Application: Spend some time with children. Get lost in their world. Relax, forget yourself and have fun. It is a simple joy we all can avail.

No comments: