Sunday, January 20, 2008

The call of Jesus to Matthew


The call of Jesus to Matthew the tax collector often makes me wonder. What did Mathew saw, heard or felt to just simply leave is profitable job with the simple words of Jesus, come follow me. I try to put myself at Matthew’s place. I am quietly sitting in front of my PC doing my own thing then a complete stranger suddenly walks up then says “Come follow me”. I will at that person puzzled, thinking to myself, is this guy serious? But Mathew did left everything and followed Jesus. I like what one priest commentary about this. He said when Matthew looked in the eyes of Jesus, it was a done deal. What could he have seen in Jesus’ eyes? It must have been so beautiful that he was able to leave everything. That is what a single gaze of Jesus can do to a person, He can transform him. I still am waiting for this grace, that Jesus would look me into my eyes and transform me. So I try to pray and wait, wait for Jesus to come, gaze to my soul and completely change me.

The call of Matthew also shows me that following the Lord is more of a mystery, there is more uncertainty that certainty. I don’t think Matthew knew that his following Jesus would lead to his martyrdom. But I think what makes following Jesus exciting is we don’t know what is coming next, but we are sure it would be a meaningful life.

No comments: