Sunday, January 27, 2008

Afternoon with the Poor


Yesterday I went house visiting. I visited 3 poor families. I was thinking to do it for some 3 weeks now, but I was hesitant to do it because it kind of to radical for me. But yesterday I visited the orphanage and the sisters gave me some food and fruits to take home. I then decided to give the food to the poor family I know whose father had a minor accident in his work. His legs got cut by a machine or something like that. He was not able to work for some days. So I went to their place and talked to the father and asked what happened to his accident. We chat a little bit then I gave the food and left. Next stop I went to another poor family to visit some kids I know. They were a big family, 8 children and another one is coming. I played with the kids and talked to the mom. I gave a bag of candies to the kids and left. My last stop was another family whom my friends is helping their daughter with her sponsoring her education. I came there to drop the money. They invited me in their house and ended up talking for about an hour. I said good bye because it was getting dark. They asked me to visit again.

I went home feeling fulfilled, knowing that I was able to live the Gospel in a small way. St Francis of Assisi once said, “Preach the Gospel, use words if necessary”. I believe our presence is already preaching the Gospel. Going out of our way for someone who is not really that close to us is a powerful witnessing to the Gospel. There is something about a stranger being charitable to another stranger. Maybe because our modern culture as become utilitarian. Our personal interaction is based on how much we can use each other. If the person has no use for us we trash them away. Unfortunately that is how the poor is being treated. That is why I believe that our “personal” and “unconditional” service to the poor is so powerful, because it is counter cultural. We Christian are all called to live out the Gospel and be a “light” and “salt” of the world.

Practical suggestion: There are a lot of people who feels forgotten and hungry for love. They might be our own family. Have we given them our time and presence?

Blog by Daxx Bondoc
(www.inspirationalblogs.com)

*If you want to repost this blog please include From Inspirationalblogs.com and the end.

No comments: